Monday, February 24, 2014

Upcycled Napkin Ring…to Pin Cushion

Hi everyone! Family functions at our house tend to be in large numbers, so that intimate dinner party with fancy place settings and cloth napkins with a napkin ring are non existent. I have napkin rings from long ago, but they are just taking up space in a drawer.

Here is a cute one…

napkin ring pin cushion

It's a hammered metal napkin ring, but any napkin ring you have will work for the pincushion project!

napkin ring pin cushion

If you have a set of napkin rings that you're not using any more, make a pin cushion for yourself and use the rest for your sewing friends.

Come on in and see how quick and easy…

Isn't it so cute? or should I say…sew cute!

napkin ring pin cushion

I cut my fabric circle about the size of a CD or DVD.

It may be different depending on the size of the circle in your napkin ring (although I am assuming they are all about the same.)

napkin ring pin cushion

You can hand whip stitch a 1/4 inch in from the edge all the way around the circle, but I just sewed it on my machine on the longest stitch length…usually the basting stitch.

napkin ring pin cushion

Sew all the way around leaving the long threads to pull the gathering stitches.

napkin ring pin cushion

Gather up the circle and stuff with cotton batting or fiberfill.

napkin ring pin cushion

Pull tight and whip stitch the opening closed.

napkin ring pin cushion

Glue or hot glue the pin cushion pouch in the napkin ring.

If you are giving these as gifts to sewing friends, you may want to glue a circle of felt on the bottom to finish it off.

napkin ring pin cushion

Quick and easy project that would be great for quilting bees, sewing groups or to sell. Have fun making them!!

Happy sewing,
~Karen~

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. I've been making these for several years. I felt a ball of wool batting and use that instead of the fabric covered cotton or poly batting. The wool keeps the pins and needles sharp.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have some wide bracelets abandoned by my girls. I think this would work with them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea...and thank you Paula and Shari for more ideas. Pincushions are on my To Do list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! What a BRILLIANT idea!! And I have a ton of napkin rings needing to get used!! I've linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-napkin-ring-pincushion/2014/02/24/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea!! I am definitely going to try this one! Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute idea! Your ideas never cease to amaze me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment...I just love hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails